Craftsy Class: The Cross-Body Bag: Sewing With Waxed Canvas
with Mariah McPherson
COUPON CODE FOR 25% OFF THE CLASS HERE.
The post went up early July, but as of today’s date (August 18, 2017), the coupon code still works.
OFFICIAL MATERIALS LIST:
● Fabric for outer bag (main fabric): 3⁄8 yard of 54″-wide or wider fabric, or 1⁄2 yard of
45″-wide fabric. Recommended fabrics for bag include heavyweight fabric such as
waxed canvas, denim, or duck canvas (suggested: 10-12 oz weight), or midweight
quilting cottons. If using quilting cotton, interface all Outer Bag pieces with fusible fleece.
● Fabric for lining: 1⁄4 yard 45″- or 54″-wide medium-weight fabric such as twill, lightweight
denim, poplin, or quilting cotton. If using quilting cotton, or if you want a bag with more
structure and less slouch, interface all Lining pieces with fusible interfacing.
● Fabric for pocket lining: One fat quarter (18″ x 22″) of quilting cotton or other light- to
● Scrap of interfacing to support the metal snap
● One 7″ closed-end metal zipper (or substitute a medium-weight nylon handbag zipper
with an extra-long pull)
● One 18 mm magnetic snap
● Two 1″ metal D-rings
● Two 1″ metal swivel clips (also called swivel hooks or push-gate hooks)
● One 1″ metal tri-glide slider (also called slides or sliders)
● 11⁄2 yards of 1″-wide webbing for straps (shown: lightweight cotton webbing)
● Thread colors to match main fabric, lining fabric, and webbing
MY IMPROVISED MATERIALS LIST:
Bag Outer Fabric – 1 yard
By purchasing the finished shoulder strap, I save around $70 on supplies!
NOTE: In my stash, I had the 3/4 in magnetic snaps by Dritz and the 7 in zipper from Wish.com (which costs WAY less than Amazon on almost everything [I got 10 of the 7 in zippers for $2 including shipping], even though it’s the same stuff – the only difference is it takes like a month to come over from China, so it’s worth stocking up).